Friday, May 22, 2020

Quarantine=really clean beer, right?

...at least that is what I am telling myself as I seek to brew my first batch of beer in about a year and a half. I have been in possession of some ingredients for 2.5 gal "half" batches for a little while now, but I just haven't had the time to *really* get my Madaket home ready for a good, clean brew day. After many weeks of quarantine, I am happy to say that the house is reaching a promising level of squeakiness, and I am ready to go. Here's what is on deck:

brACKfast stout: a coffee cream oatmeal stout. Notes of dry cocoa and coffee roast derived from dark malts and actual coffee from my favorite roaster, Armeno Coffee in Northboro, MA. Creamy mouthfeel thanks to the oats. Perfect for brunching. I know it's not exactly "dark beer season" but convention be damned...think cold brew coffee on a bright summer morning that's also a comforting warmer on those stormy days in June-uary.

Blonde Bees Have More Fun: tried and true, this is my house recipe Belgian-style blonde ale, to be brewed with local Nantucket honey (apiary citation needed). Target ABV 6-7%, with what you would expect from a Belgian, lots of banana/clove character from the yeast, reasonably effervescent, very dry finish. Good for literally anytime.

Huzzah. I've loved all my quarantine sourdough experiments, but it's definitely beer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment