Monday, November 7, 2011

Smokey the Brown

Well, after nearly a week's worth of runouts to Philly with the Westminster Symphonic Choir and a weekend full of wonderful performances of Ein Deutsches Requiem with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Yannick Nézet-Séguin, I am back to the real world once again.  Why yesterday, I only had a mere solemn mass in Bordentown and a Compline service in Freehold on my singing agenda.  I even had a full thirty minutes in my schedule that allowed me a trip to Princeton Homebrew to finally pick up some ingredients for my next batch, and I'm really excited about this one.  As soon as is humanly possible, I'll be brewing up a cherrywood-smoked brown ale at 1.050 OG and 21°SRM, so somewhat toeing the line of an English brown porter.  Hey, it's homebrew and I can do whatever I want.  I think that this will be a perfect beer for late fall, and because of the style shouldn't take too long to be nice and drinkable.

Depending on how this comes out, I'm considering racking some/all of it onto some chipotle peppers for a nice smoky kick.  With the base recipe I'm using, there should be enough sweetness to counteract that nicely.  Here's what this guy is gonna look like:

6 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Briess Cherrywood smoked malt
1 lb English Crystal 60°L
.5 lbs Chocolate malt

1 oz. East Kent Goldings @60
1 oz. East Kent Goldings @15

WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Basically, it's a pretty standard brown ale with the smoked malt subbed in for some of the base malt, some finishing hops to add a little balance in the flavor, and a low-attenuating yeast to give it some sweetness.  I'm really excited to see how this turns out.  Stay tuned.
You wouldn't believe how good this grain smells

No comments:

Post a Comment