Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another special edition: Flanders Red

After browsing through an amazing beer selection in Newton, MA, I brought to Nashville a couple of excellent Belgians. I chose two good sours and a six pack of a Great Divide Brewing Co (Colorado) Belgian Saison. Here is my review of one of the sours...I didn't have time to take a picture because the beer was too delicious, so I found a stock photo of it online. After this, I promise to go back to the regular order of the styles, as well as chronicling my new Nashville brewing adventures!


Beer: Duchesse de Bourgogne
Category: Sour Ale
Subcategory: Flanders Red (but close to a Flanders brown)

Presentation: 750 mL cork and cage bottle poured into tulip glass

Appearance: Beer pours a deep reddish-brown with a fluffy cream-colored head that starts off big and dissipates into a small film on the surface, with some of the most amazing lacing I've ever seen

Aroma: Sort of a sweet, musty cherry smell with a slight tart kick and a little funk, not as much as expected though

Flavor: Delicious. Tart cherries up front with some nice raisin/plum sweetness balancing the whole thing out. Some definite malty tones stand out in this one...edging on the side of an Oud Bruin (even though BA classifies it as a red). A tiny amount of hop bitterness graces the finish. Great to see how the flavor opens up as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky, with very balanced carbonation.

Drinkability: Amazingly drinkable, especially for a style that people seem to think is less accessible. I really enjoyed this a lot and could easily foresee drinking a whole bottle by myself. Great price, too! $10/bottle for something that is definitely as good as much more expensive ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment